From:
[log in to unmask] (Pete Boettke)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =================

Ludwig von Mises, in his Epistemological Problems in Economics, comments on
Weber extensively, and was greatly influenced by Weber (though in the
relevant sections in this work he is critical).  The actually intellectual
context of Mises's position is that he saw himself as developing Weber's
ideas (as Ludwig Lachmann has pointed out in his _The Legacy of Max
Weber_).  Alfred Schutz's _Phenomenology of the Social World_ attempts to
blend Husserl and Bergson to provide a philosophical redirection for
Weber's system that would in the end meet Mises's criticisms (see the last
section Schutz's book where Mises's criticisms of Weber are dealt with by
Schutz). Prendergast (spelling?) has an article in the _American Journal of
Sociology_ (about 1985) which details the relationship between Schutz, the
Austrian economists, and Weber.  In addition, in the last few years there
was another discussion of Schutz and rational choice theory in _Rationality
and Society_ and an article in _History of Political Economy_ as well.  In
addition, there is a book by Holton and Turner on Weber which discusses the
cross fertilization of ideas between Weber and the Austrians.

Finally, in the "field" of economic sociology Weber's work is considered
classic.  I taught a PhD seminar at NYU in economic sociology last fall and
we used the Smelser and Swedberg, ed., _Handbook of Economic Sociology_
(Princeton University Press, 1995) as well as readings from the journals.
I thought the Handbook provided a useful survey to the main contributions
to the field and the methodological issues at stake.

Pete Boettke