Sender:
Date:
Wed, 6 Aug 2014 18:55:07 -0700
From:
mason gaffney <[log in to unmask]>
Re "employee loyalty" and all that, I was a grad student in economics at U.C. Berkeley in 1953 or so, and a year or so into writing my dissertation. I made two mistakes.  One was wearing a Stevenson button too openly; the other was associating with Carey McWilliams, Editor of The Nation. On learning of the latter, my thesis chair, one Varden Fuller, asked the Dean of the Grad Division to expel me - after 4 years of life spent slaving to swallow their twisted teachings and write that 500 page dissertation!

All that saved me was that the Dean of the Grad Division was my father-in-law.  Otherwise ... ?  Yes, it was an awful time.