From:
[log in to unmask] (Brad De Long)
Date:
Hmmm...

Whenever I read something like Kevin Quinn's:

>the British empiricists thought that all our knowledge
>received its warrant in virtue of its reference to self-interpreting
>sense-data. Modern neoclassical economics continues this tradition with
>its naivete about the "data" that sort out true from false theories and
>its pre-Kuhnian belief that the data are "theory-independent".

I find myself confused. It does not seem to me to make... sense... :-)

What could a phrase like "self-interpreting sense-data" possibly mean?

Suppose that this year's budget reconciliation bill cuts $90 billion over
the next seven years from income support for poor single-family household;
that the elimination of the federal requirement that states "match" federal
funds leads states to cut back an extra $40 billion, that the typical
households whose income has been cut doesn't manage to replace much of that
extra income by increasing hours spent in the paid labor force; and that
the roughly 25% reduction over the next seven years in the income and
spending of the poorest twentieth of Americans has dire social
consequences--infant mortality up, hundreds of thousands of homeless
children in the streets of America's major cities, cholera and typhoid
making a comeback, and so forth.

A neoclassical economist, looking at this hypothetical scenario, would read
it as evidence that the neoconservative critique of welfare made by people
like Charles Murray was largely incorrect--that the post-WWII AFDC program
did _not_ lead the typical recipient to choose _welfare_ rather than
_work_, and that the post-WWII AFDC program was a transfer program with a
relatively small excess burden.

How would this hypothetical neoclassical economists' analysis be flawed by
its "naivete about the 'data'," by its "pre-Kuhnian belief that the data
are 'theory-independent'," or by its acceptance of "the British empiricists
thought that all our knowledge received its warrant in virtue of its
refrence to self-interpreting sense-data"?

Brad De Long

"Now 'in the long run' this [way of summarizing
the quantity theory of money] is probably       |
true.... But this **long run** is a misleading  | Brad De Long
guide to current affairs. **In the long run**   | Dept. of Economics
we are all dead.  Economists set themselves     | U.C. Berkeley
too easy, too useless a task if in tempestuous  | Berkeley, CA 94720
seasons they can only tell us that when the     | (510) 643-4027  376-1362
storm is long past the ocean is flat again."    | (510) 642-6615 fax
                                --J.M. Keynes   |
http://econ158.berkeley.edu/