Date:
I agree, Greg.  Thus the importance of the interpretation/justification/
exploration of the implications that must necessarily accompany a
particular proposed geneology.  But this still leaves the issue of the
identification of, and relative weight attached to, a particular influence,
be it a person, event, book, etc., not to mention sets of influences acting
in combination.  I guess it depends on whether one undertakes the exercise
as a sort of parlor game, in which case it's no big deal, or a serious
scholarly project.

It should go without saying that where students depart from their
mentors/teachers is at least as interesting and important as where they
follow them.

>I should think that one feature recommending the family
>tree project is the very fact that it is open to alternative
>interpretations, and makes inspires one to think about the
>significance of history to the shape of contemporary ideas.  The
>fact that the task has no 'right answers' is one reason it is'
>worth doing -- a provocative way to inspire interest in the history
>of economic thought.
>
>Greg Ransom
>Dept. of Philosophy
>UC-Riverside

Mathew Forstater      Department of Economics
        Gettysburg College     Gettysburg, PA  17325

tel: (717) 337-6668   fax: (717) 337-6251   e-mail: [log in to unmask]