From:
[log in to unmask] (E. Roy Weintraub)
Date:
Ron Stanfield writes:
"I study cultural and intellectual history in an attempt to reveal the
sources
of the distempers we suffer daily. I seek to propose and to advocate, so to
help in my small way invigorate the democratic and liberal (free) process
of
making a living and living in an orderly and sound society."

This topic is the subject of The Clarendon Lectures (1993) delivered by
Stanley Fish at Oxford, just published as "Professional Correctness:
Literary Studies and Political Change" by Oxford University Press.

To give the flavor of the argument, Fish wrote: (pp.74-75) "...to
think that by exposing the leaks in a system you fatally wound it,
is to engage in a strange kind of deconstructive Platonism -- strange
is because Platonism is what deconstruction pushes against -- in
which the surface features of life are declared illusory in relation
to a deep underlying truth or non-truth. It is in the surfaces,
however, that we live and move and have our being (it is surfaces all
the way down) and no philosophical demonstration of their
ephemerality will loosen their hold ...[T]rying to figure out what a
poem means will be quite a different activity from trying to figure
out which interpretation of a poem will contribute to the war effort
or to the toppling of patriarchy."

Or (p.106): "[R]eflection is either (a) an activity within a practice
and therefore finally not distanced from that practice's normative
assumptions or (b) an activity grounded in its own normative
asumptions and therefore one whose operations will reveal more about
itself than about any practice viewed through its lens."

To which I gloss: If you write history, write it well for whatever
reasons you choose, and we will or not be persuaded to its argument by
your skill and craft as an historian; but as historians,  do not expect
us to THEREBY attend to your politics.

E. Roy Weintraub, Professor of Economics
Duke University, Box 90097
Durham, North Carolina 27708-0097

Phone and voicemail: (919) 660-1838
Fax: (919) 684-8974