From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Date:
Two comments regarding issues raised in the "family tree" debate. but
first let me say that I have learned a lot by listening in, and am still
interested in putting together a web page(s).

My comments:

1. "Influence" is extremely hard to track, for all the reasons raised here
plus a few more. There was an interesting discussion of the problem of
"influence" on H-IDEAS in the spring of 1995 (probably accessible from
their filemanager). My contribution to that debate emphasized what I see
as my primary task as an intellectual historian: rather than tracking
influences, I want to ask what resources were available to a scholar as
s/he attempted to communicate with her/his audience. Knowing the Menger
and von Mises "influences" on Hayek helps us to interpret what Hayek may
have meant when he said what he did, and knowing that he was not aware of
some other scholar's work would help us by eliminating other potential
meanings. (One of the negative examples would be Knight and Keynes
writing on probability theory -- some have asked what Keynes' influence on
Knight was, but Knight did not know about Keynes' Treatise on Probability
when he was writing Risk, Uncertainty, and Profit, so there is no
influence, and we should look elsewhere to find the resources Knight had
at his disposal as he tried to apply probability theory to social
science).

2. Peter asks about the relevance of discussion of "schools" to the
history of economic thought. My answer here is twosided: I think it is
relevant to speak of the "Chicago School" but I am personally more
interested in the differences among them than in constructing a systematic
account of the "Chicago research program."  The ties that bind them
together are much more tenuous than the debates that separate them (and
lead to much of their most interesting work!). One is tempted to say that
it is only "location" that binds them together; but in the case of Chicago
from the late 20s to the late 70s, the LSE for most of its history,
Vienna in the 20s and early 30s, and a few other places, perhaps that is
enough.

Ross

Ross B. Emmett, Augustana University College, Camrose, Alberta
CANADA   T4V 2R3   voice: (403) 679-1517   fax: (403) 679-1129
e-mail: [log in to unmask]  or  [log in to unmask]