From:
[log in to unmask] (E. Roy Weintraub)
Date:
Dimand wrote:

But of course truncated influences are, if anything, harder to trace than
influences which actually continued to convey their germ down
academic generations!

I disagree: I take as my text Bruno Latour who argued that
"The status of a statement depends on later statements. It is made
more of a certainty or less of a certainty depending on the next
sentence that takes it up; this retrospective attribhution is
repeated for this next new sentence, which in turn might be more of a
fact or more of a fiction by a third, and so on...Since the staus of
a claim depends on later user's insertions, what if there are no
later users whatsoever? This is the point that people who never come
close to the fabrication of science have the greatest difficulty in
grasping. They imagine that all scientific articles are equal and
are arrayed in lines like soldiers, to be carefully inspected one by
one. However most papers are never read at all. No matter what a
paper did to the former literature, if no one else does anything else
with it, then it is as if it had never existed at all. You may have
written a paper that settles a fierce controversy once and for all,
but if readers ignore it it cannot be turned into a fact; it simply
cannot." (Bruno Latour, Science in Action, 1897, 27-28, 40)

Put simply in the present context, precursor searches, among
dead white females' writings on economics, specifically
writings which had no effect on the subdisciplinary community of
scholars, have no narrative power. They may be of interest as rational
reconstructions of the history, or as historical reconstructions of
the local and contingent circumstances of the construction of the
writings themselves, but we all are, by now, aware of the
historiographic deadend of such rational reconstructions of the
development of science. That is, to argue Harriet Martineau did or did
not discover X for the first time but economics  had to wait N years
for X to be rediscoved is to misconceive the enterprise of doing
economics itself. A story of Martineau and her discussion of X is or
can be interesting and excellent history, but precursor hunts are
simply a reminder that "There is no new thing under the sun" well
known since Ecclesiastes, about B.C 977.

E. Roy Weintraub, Professor of Economics
Duke University, Box 90097
Durham, North Carolina 27708-0097

Phone and voicemail: (919) 660-1838
Fax: (919) 684-8974