From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =================

First a positive reply to Roy, expressing the core of my agreement with
him; then a negative response, identifying an area of potential
disagreement:

The root issue of Roy's editorial is that contributions to History of
Economics are defined by the criteria or standards "employed by
professional historians to evaluate and appraise historical writing."
***With this I fully agree.*** Lest my agreement with Roy be overlooked
in the second part of this message where I express some reservation, let
me say that I no longer identify myself as an "economist" in conversations
about my research with other academics and the general public -- I
identify myself as either an "intellectual historian" or an "historian of
science." While most of my listeners often "get the message" that they
need not ask me about interest rate trends and whether they should lock in
their mortgages (who would ask a historian those questions?), some also
recognize from my identification that my research is not driven by the
criteria of economic analysis (I would not deny that I have a
historiographic agenda, however!).

Now on to the area of potential disagreement. I think Roy too quickly
gives away to neoclassical economists a model of scientific theorizing
which confirms the suspicion that "old" ideas are either already
corrected or dead. In most of the other social sciences, "theory" courses
are an amalgamation of historical and rational reconstructions (what
someone in an earlier reply to Roy called history of doctrine and history
of analysis) of classic "texts" in the field, and contemporary theorists
orient their work in relation to those "texts." And as Greg Ransom pointed
out, rational reconstructions of the Darwinian tradition are alive and
well in biological theory. Perhaps the absence of powerful rational
reconstructions in contemporary physical or chemical theory are more a
sign of the contemporary *uniformity of agreement across those
disciplines* than an indication that the conversational tradition in a
so-called scientific discipline is more irrelevant to its present than it
is in the humanities. And can economics really claim the *uniformity of
agreement* that renders it unnecessary to recover lost elements of the
conversational tradition? [I think not personally.]

Finally, let me add that my potential disagreement with Roy is not a call
to a "subversive" rehistoricizing of the economics profession. If I wanted
to do that, I would have become an economic historian, not an historian of
economics -- the opportunities to draw history back into the economics
profession are much more promising there and in the New Institutionalism.
I am a historian of economics because I want to explain the discipline of
economics in the twentieth century. [Full stop]

Ross

Ross B. Emmett                Editor, HES and Co-manager CIRLA-L
Augustana University College
Camrose, Alberta CANADA   T4V 2R3
voice: (403) 679-1517   fax: (403) 679-1129
e-mail: [log in to unmask]  or  [log in to unmask]