From:
Sumitra Shah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 2009 08:36:21 -0400
Pat, it is not that you may be misunderstanding me, I think we
talking about different things. As the cliche goes, we are not on the
same page. I believe what you called legal rights could be
interpreted as formal rights/freedoms. As for the sexual division of
labor, it exists. In a system of natural liberty it does not get
mentioned because it is nor part of the analytical framework Smith
had created. T. E. Cliffe Leslie, somewhat critical of his deductive
method, wrote:

"Alike in the theory of Nature which pervades his entire philosophy
of society, and in his general conceptions of the industrial world,
we trace the influence of the early world in which he lived. One
striking example of this is that one-half of society has been almost
entirely overlooked in his philosophy. His language appears at first
sight to point to unrestricted liberty as the unconditional principle
of a true political economy, and the -indispensable requisite of the
full development of the economic resources of nature; but on closer
inspection it will be found that where he speaks of `the natural
effort of every individual to better his own condition, when suffered
to exert itself with freedom and security,' as the cause of national
wealth and prosperity, he had only the half of the nation denoted by
the masculine pronoun in his mind; he meant only what he elsewhere
says, `the natural effort of every man.' He seems to have been
perfectly content though it involves an inconsistency which is fatal
to his whole theory with the existing restraints on the energies of
women; and the only effort on the part of a woman to better her own
condition which he has in view is `to become the mistress of a
family.' In the only passage in the `Wealth of Nations' in which
women are referred to, we discover at once how far was he from having
developed universal laws of industry and wealth, how far he was from
escaping from the ideas of a primitive world. `There are,' he said,
`no public institutions for the education of women, and there is
accordingly nothing useless, absurd, or fantastical, in the common
course of their education. They are taught what their parents or
guardians judge it necessary or useful for them to learn, and they
are taught nothing else. Every part of their education tends
evidently to some useful purpose either to improve the natural
attractions of their person, or to form their minds to reserve, to
modesty, to chastity, and to economy; to render them both likely to
become the mistresses of a family, and to behave properly when they
have become such. In every part of her life a woman feels same
convenience or advantage from every part of her education.'

Although `the obvious and simple system of natural liberty' is the
foundation of Smith's whole system, though he regarded it as the law
of the beneficent Author of Nature, it turns out that he applied it
only to one-half of mankind" (The Political Economy of Adam Smith,
Fortnightly Review, 1870).

Sumitra Shah