From:
Doug Mackenzie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:54:12 -0400
What market is failing to be free? There is no market for highway
travel in the U.S. because highways owned by the Federal Government.
If highways were privatized we could then see if congestion became
less common. Or, we could look at the Mt Washington auto road, which
is a private toll road. I take the trails up and have never noticed
the road traffic. Anyway, I find it strange when economists look at a
problem with a publicly owned resource and start talking about free
market failure. The failure to reduce traffic with peak load pricing
is the result of politics rather than for profit.

Doug Mackenzie