From:
Steve Kates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 2009 08:15:59 -0500
Could I add my own words of support for June Flanders' sensible
suggestion that it become imperative that academic writing using
historical sources, particularly in HET, always include the original
publication date. And could I also suggest that in such bibliographic
references, that it is the original publication date that is stated
first with the reprint added later so that the sequential order of
publication in the bibliography will follow the chronological order
of publication for each author. It would then become unnecessary to
unscramble the sequence in which various publications have been
written which in many areas is an important consideration. As an example :

Keynes, J.M. [1930] 1979. A Treatise on Money.

Keynes, J.M. [1936] 1973. The General Theory of Employment, Interest
and Money.

If all journal editors in HET made this a requirement, it would very
quickly establish itself as the standard practice.

Steven Kates