From:
Barkley Rosser <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Nov 2009 15:29:49 -0500
Regarding the matter of Faustmann and his milieu,
I think it is important to recognize that he was
firmly entrenched in a German language tradition
that covered a variety of closely related topics,
with little of this having any influence on the
related English language literature until a wave
of translations occurred, mostly in the 1950s.
This explains how Fisher could be writing more
than a half century after Fautmann, and even
though he was the leading mathematical economist
of his era and country, was behind Faustmann.

Mason Gaffney or someone else might correct me,
but the way I see it the real fountainhead of
this strand of German language literature was
the immensely fecund and innovative 1826 book
by Johann Heinrich von Thunen, Der Isolierte
Staat, translated as The Isolated State.  It is
seen as the foundation of all subsequent location
theory as well as being the first (or early)
appearance of many other ideas.  I believe that
Faustmann was a faithful reader and follower of
von Thunen, with later German writers such as
Weber (not Max) and Christaller and Losch, among
a number of others, developing ideas related to
land use much further.  I have long thought that
this literature developed there partly because
there was a dense population and also a lot of
smaller states with cooperative interactions
between the private and public sectors, with
people such as Faustmann advising rulers of these
small states.

Barkley Rosser