From:
Sumitra Shah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Aug 2012 22:38:40 -0400
This may be a later period than the information you need, but this article is about to the life and achievements of Margaret G. Reid, who received her Ph. D. in economics from Chicago in 1931. Reid became a full professor there after teaching elsewhere. She had a most interesting career and influenced people like Gary Becker, Franco Modigliani et al.

I had tried to send a link, but it's access is restricted to members/subscribers. Here is the information: it was published in

Feminist Economics 2(3), 1996, 17-36. Perhaps I can send it as an attachment off-list.

ABSTRACT

Feminist critics of mainstream economics, and of the neoclassical paradigm

in particular, have focused primarily on exposing and questioning the

gender biases and androcentric claims to neutrality, objectivity and rationality

of the most male-dominated discipline among the social sciences. The

scientific method and mathematical sophistry so cherished in the discipline

have also come under severe attack from several quarters. However, despite

the intellectual ferment and some practical gains for women that these

criticisms have engendered, even today the substantial contributions several

women scholars have made to the field of economics are not well known or

fully acknowledged. This paper traces and highlights Margaret Reid's

contributions to the development of some core theories in economics. While

several of her male colleagues whose work she had inspired or contributed

to have been awarded the Nobel Prize, the discipline of economics still owes

a huge debt to Reid and to several other women economists.

Sumitra Shah