AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Daniel German <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2007 11:16:19 -0400

I am writing in reference to the criticism that the AAO response to the
announcement of the changes to the United Church Central Archives makes no
reference to the question of staff-cuts.

As chair of the AAO Communications/Advocacy Cttee I drafted a letter for the
President to send expressing our concerns.  This was done as soon as the
word came out that there were going to be changes, and before we learned of
the staff-cuts.  Obviously the AAO is concerned about any cuts to archival
staff, and to her credit Liz has been quick to respond to any such issues.
It just happens that in this case this response is being more widely
disseminated.

It is unfortunate that the letter did not include any references to the
staff, but we were working with the information we had available at the
time.  Frankly, since they had announced that the archives would continue to
exist, I do not think that anyone thought that there would be the sort of
whole-scale layoffs which have now been intimated.

The AAO will continue to monitor the situation and do what we can.  It is my
fervent hope that the experience of the new General Secretary of the United
Church with the residential schools issue will help persuade her as to the
necessity of maintaining the archives and the archival staff.  In the event
that this is not the case, we shall re-evaluate our options as to further
actions.

Daniel German
Chair
AAO Communications/Advocacy Cttee