SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
"Thompson, Kenneth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:26:45 -0400
hi all,

look, it is true that the way psychiatry has evolved contains many many problematic issues..
but there is no question that it has evolved- at least in part- due to the very serious dilemas and discomfort that arise in human life.  we are creatures of cognition and emotion.  and sometimes these elements are related to suffering and/or to difficulty living fully and taking on the tasks of life..
so there is real suffering and disability involved.

when we do a psychiatric interview, we are doing a physical exam but its an exam of the mind/brain- we are talking with people to understand how they are experiencing their emotions and how they are experiencing their thoughts.  it is as subjective and materialisitic as listening for a heart murmur.   do our diagnositic categories come close to being able to shorthand how a persons brain/mind is working? absolutely not!  is the perception of the psychiatrist subjective- of course.  (so is the perception of the heart murmur.  dont go to a deaf cardiologist and dont go to an insensitive psychiatrist...

ultimately, i think the issue before us is how do we construct a profession of people who attend to the issues of suffering and disability of the brain/mind without creating a hierarchy of oppression.   for me, i am working to do this, along with others, to build the recovery movement, to understate the overclaims of science, but most of all, to engage as authentically and as wisely as possible- having the courage to change the things that i can, the capacity to accept those i cant, and the wisdom to know the difference.

of course, in this context, i can only quote robert burns
would some gift the giftie gie us, to see ourselves as others see us..

ken