SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Elizabeth McGibbon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2006 18:29:47 -0300
Hello all,
I’m always skeptical when social change is attempted through millions/billions of dollars spent in marketing a lifestyle based program. Participaction has had some success, especially in mustering up national and international attention. I remember well the glossy adverts in the seventies. For me, the question is not whether Participation might be beneficial to Canadians. Rather, the question is, how ELSE should we be using this money, if indeed there is any money to rebirth Participaction. The critique of lifestyle approaches to improving health is so well developed: physical and mental health is tied to social class, and poverty is not a lifestyle.

If Canadians have some money to throw around to improve health, please let’s start with concrete intervention to address inequities in access to meaningful jobs, decent playgrounds in communities, and so on. Participaction’s success in several areas notwithstanding, using millions of dollars on pamphlets and booklets, TV ads, public service announcements, and the bureaucracy to produce and disseminate them should not be our first choice.

Elizabeth McGibbon, PhD, RN
Associate Professor
School of Nursing
St. Francis xavier University