SDOH Archives

Social Determinants of Health

SDOH@YORKU.CA

From:
Chrystal Ocean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2006 16:45:48 -0400
Not only the recent cuts to Status of Women Canada but the "Women's Program
Renewal" paints a bleak picture for groups like WISE.

Had the current situation been the case in 2003, WISE would never have
existed and its two Policies of Exclusion, Poverty & Health initiatives
(Stories from the Front and our current Scarlet Letter Campaign) would never
been done.

You see, pre Harper's "new government," Status of Women Canada would fund
initiatives by ad hoc groups, which is what WISE is. Post-Harper, it can no
longer do so.

Because of what we are, SWC was the only source of funding WISE had. No
other government agency would fund projects by ad hoc groups; and due to
Canada's Charity Act, no foundations can fund entities that aren't
themselves registered charities.

WISE's very survival has always depended on what we could generate ourselves
- we, women in poverty. Left to book sales, fees from Associate Members and,
hopefully, donations from WISE Friends, there can be no more WISE projects
because we can get no more project funding.

That, of course, is exactly what the Harpercrits want.

Ocean