From:
James Ahiakpor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 2015 11:36:38 -0800
GM Ambrosi wrote:
> This thread is about a putative "Keynes quotation" and not about what
> Robertson said about Keynes. List members showed that in fact the
> putative quote is from Patinkin. The thread could have stopped there.
> It continued because the question was put whether in the present
> context enquires about "copyright" are not a waste of energy. It was
> agreed that in a HET context they are worth the while if they clarify
> questions of authorship of analysis. Since the initial quote was about
> "dynamic theory", a thread-related question was how Keynes _did_
> relate to economic dynamics. Keynes states that in the GT there is
> _always_ I=S. That is true in an accounting context. Accounting is "ex
> post". Hence, in Keynes's analysis intertemporal comparisons of
> alternative levels of (un)employment are about alternative "ex post"
> outcomes of an economy during different time periods. A statement
> about a policy-induced level of future employment is hence,
> methodically speaking, "anticipated ex-post analysis". Whether some of
> Keynes's definitions  do involve "verbal monstrosities" (James quoting
> Robertson), or whether Robertson's "induced dis-lacking" is a good
> example for a monstrous definition may be left undiscussed in the
> present context. The fact that modern macroeconomic accounting prefers
> to resort to Keynes-type taxonomies of income and expenditure seems to
> me to be an indication that his use of terms is often considered to be
> useful for empirical economic analysis.
> Michael Ambrosi

May I reiterate the relevance of my points on Keynes's new definitions
to the thread about the authorship of a quote.  Michael introduced the
point that Keynes in GT, p. 63, claims that investment is always equal
to saving, and that such a claim amounts to an "anticipated ex-post"
analysis of a dynamic phenomenon.  Well, it turns out that on the same
page 63, Keynes also claims that his definitions were what "the great
majority of economists" also used. That was what prompted me to point
out that Keynes wasn't being truthful in his claim: he was making the
wrong attribution of definitions.  I went on to explain the difference
between Keynes's understanding of saving and investment and those of the
classicals, or the majority of economists of his day.  Michael chose not
to deal with the point.

It is also the case that when one is interested in the dynamics of an
economy, the accounting (ex-post) taxonomies that Michael is so fond of
are not helpful.  They are backward looking rather than forward looking:
an economy moves forward through time.  And it is precisely because of
Keynes's (new) definitions that he was unable to recognize that
investment can exceed savings, as I earlier explained in the context of
forced saving.   It is also because of Keynes's new definitions of
saving and investment that he couldn't appreciate that the rate of
interest coordinates savings and investment (spending), as the classics
explained.  Keynes then had to turn the Quantity theory of money into a
theory of interest rates.  The fact that, through the work of J.R. Hicks
(and Simon Kuznets), modern macroeconomics employs Keynes's accounting
taxonomies should not blind us to recognizing their defects, especially
historians of economic thought, who more easily -- I would think --
should appreciate the roots of the problem.

James Ahiakpor