From:
"Colander, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2009 10:06:28 -0500
Dear Everyone,

Now that we've changed the message line, I wanted to thank everyone
who sent in information both privately and through SHOE about the
descriptions for the calendar.  It was extraordinarily helpful. The
group is a wonderful asset.  The collective knowledge of the group is
amazing. I very much appreciate it.

Given that it was so helpful, and given that everyone seemed to enjoy
the discussion, I might also ask the group to review another aspect
of the calendar.

Specifically, the calendar will have a few quotations from each
economist selected.  For a number of economists on the calendar we
have simply picked up what Stigler used, but for new ones (we changed
some, and added six because we are making it an 18 month calendar) we
had to find some quotations. If the list organizer finds my question
acceptable, I will be sending these selections and ask the group is
they have any "better" selections, or whether I have really chosen
the wrong quotation.

Obviously, in choosing quotations, there is an enormous set of
material to choose from, and enormous subjectivity, so I am a bit
hesitant to put my selections out to the group, and thereby expose
myself to the collective scorn of the group. But since everyone was
so helpful and charitable to me in the earlier discussion, I thought
I'd try it. In any case, it should start some good discussions about
specific economists.

To separate the discussions for me, I will send each economist's
quotations out with a separate subject line. That way I can organize
them and make final decisions about quotations when all the
suggestions (if there are any) are in.

A few ground rules for the discussion:

	1. Space is limited, so please accompany any suggested quotation
with a suggestion of which quotation to cut.

	2. The new quotation can be no longer than the cut quotation.

	3. Please give the source for any quotation you give--I will have to
get permissions for each.

	Again, many thanks, and I hope that this generates as much good
discussion as the previous did.

Dave Colander

To start the process, I am including the quotations I selected for Richard Ely:

Richard Ely

Some of the younger men not present at the founding of our
Association have regarded the controversy about inductive and
deductive method as a barren and fruitless one. It is because they
did not understand the situation at that time. There was opposition
to historical, statistical study as an essential means of discovering
economic truth, and emphasis was laid upon the so-called historical
method because at that time it was necessary. Here and there it may
be undue emphasis was laid upon this, because, as Adam Smith says,
"when the twig is bent too much in one direction it is necessary to
bend it in the other to make it straight." It is only those who fail
to realize the situation at that time-so hard to understand at the
present-who can regard as futile and meaningless the controversy
regarding induction and deduction, statistical and historical method.
(65, American Economic Association Quarterly, 3rd Series, Vol. 11,
No. 1, Papers and Discussions of the Twenty-Second Annual Meeting:
Being the Twenty-Fifth Anniversary of the Founding of the
Association. New York City. December 27-31, 1909 (Apr., 1910), pp. 47-111)

The students of elementary economics should have presented to them a
clear-cut, well-defined system of thought. This should in one way be
taught dogmatically, in another sense not. Let me explain my paradox.
In elementary teaching a certain element of dogmatism is
pedagogically necessary. In the case of economics the dogmatism
consists in learning the author who is being studied and confining
attention first of all to his thought. The teacher should, however,
say frankly, "there are other authors just as able as our author,
perhaps a good deal abler, who looks at things differently. The last
word has not by any means been said upon any of the important
theoretical and practical subjects in economics; but, as a basis for
further work, we will endeavor to understand this one writer." (438,
Suggestions to Teachers of General Economics The Journal of Political
Economy, Vol. 18, No. 6 (Jun., 1910), pp. 437-440)