From:
Steve Kates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:28:08 +1100
I would just like to say a few words about Mark. He apparently had a reputation for being hard and difficult but my own experience was of someone who was generous with his time and willing to help someone trying to think through difficult problems in the history of thought, and this was when I was merely a PhD candidate just beginning my work in the field. I had always been intimidated by his Economic Theory in Retrospect which even when I was at university, was the touchstone of what I thought it meant to be a true scholar. It set a standard I knew I could never hope to repeat. It is the only book from my university days that still sits on my shelf. I am very sorry to hear that he has passed away. Economics has lost one of its great historians.

Dr Steven Kates
School of Economics, Finance
    and Marketing
RMIT University
Level 12 / 239 Bourke Street
Melbourne Vic 3000

Phone: (03) 9925 5878
Mobile: 042 7297 529

>>> Roger Backhouse <[log in to unmask]> 11/21/2011 9:54 am >>>
Ruth Towse has just given me the news that Mark died, peacefully at
home, on November 18th. He had been very ill for the past year.

Many of us will remember Mark, and he will be greatly missed.

Roger Backhouse