From:
Pat Gunning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Aug 2009 12:27:06 -0400
One could define the history of economics as the endeavors by
students of modern economics to identify and document relationships
among the key concepts in their field to the concepts that past
writers have developed. From this point of view, Rowley was doing
history of economic thought in making the claim that Landa's ideas
were related to those of Grief. To the extent that either Rowley or
Grief claims to be a bona fide historian of economics, his (their)
work warrants evaluation by "our profession."

The concept of trust and trustworthiness has a long history in the
economics of exchange. However, the cultural and dialect aspects of
trust and trustworthiness in the theory of inter-regional trade were,
to my knowledge, new concepts. My recollection of Landa's work is
that she recognized these aspects before Grief began writing about
them. However, Grief compared trade growth by means of
culturally-based trustworthiness with trade growth by means of formal
law, concluding that the latter was more sustainable and thus more
relevant to economics. He thus explored a relationship between law
and inter-regional trade that, to my knowledge, was unprecedented.
Rowley's remarks, written in Public Choice, are only marginally
relevant to this relationship.

It is common for many list members to gloss over the distinction
between economics as a science and economics as a profession. In
interpreting what others write, I find it useful to keep these things
separate and ordinarily write from the former perspective.

 From the latter perspective, however, the issue of citations seems
to me to be a battle over turf. A sociologist of the economics
profession would not be surprised to find  that Rowley promotes Landa
since both are associated with the Virginia political economy school.

Pat Gunning