From:
James Ahiakpor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2022 13:56:32 -0800
Following on Per Bylund's citation of Adam Smith's first reference to
"self interest" in the Wealth of Nations, I'd like to suggest Smith's
second reference to the axiom, which appears to address the issue of
shareholder wealth maximization rather than some "societal good" more
directly:

"As every individual ... endeavours as much as he can both to employ his
capital in the support of domestic industry, and so to direct that
industry that its produce may be of the greatest value; every individual
necessarily labours to render the annual revenue of the society as great
as he can.  He generally, indeed, neither intends to promote the public
interest, nor knows how much he is promoting it.  By preferring the
support of domestic to that of foreign industry, he intends only his own
security; and by directing that industry in such a manner as its produce
may be of the greatest value, he intends only his own gain, and he is in
this, as in many other cases, led by an invisible hand to promote an end
which was no part of his intention.  Nor is it always the worse for the
society that it was no part of it.  By pursuing his own interest he
frequently promotes that of the society more effectually than when he
really intends to promote it.  I have never known much good done by
those who affected to trade for the public good.  It is an affection,
indeed, not very common among merchants, and very few words need be
employed in dissuading them from it" (WN, 1: 477-8).

Milton and Rose Friedman (Free to Choose, 1979, xvi) quote this passage
from Adam Smith. I have the feeling that Milton was applying Smith's
argument in a modern context: the CEO's pursuit of profitability on
behalf of shareholders achieves the same purpose as the individual who
employs his capital (funds) to his own advantage.

James Ahiakpor

--
James C.W. Ahiakpor, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus