From:
Robert Tye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2023 07:51:22 -0400
Dear Felipe, James

In the 1690’s John Locke was rather explicit in identifying money very objectively with a weight of silver.  It is easy to see how historians then and now might make a start in testing that suggestion.  Felipe takes up the alternative modern suggested rather more subjective definition, “trust”, and role of anthropologists in promoting that definition.   Certainly the work of such as Karl Polanyi played a role in this change of focus, but why did that come about?  Accounts of the doings of pre-historic man are necessarily very speculative, and anyway have little in common with the historically recorded forms of social life that began, with history itself, about 2,500 years back.

Rather than attempt to guess what happened to promote anthropology behind closed doors in the Cold War period, I suggest it is more constructive to look at the very recent events regarding the ERC “weight and value” project.  Concerning Bronze Age commerce, with announced funding of 1.9 million Euros.  Why has the project been advised by FRB staff with no background either in Bronze Age archaeology nor historical metrology?  Am I alone is seeing glaring problems in the ongoing way data is being interpreted?  I can find no published criticism.

Robert Tye, York, UK (no affiliation)

https://independent.academia.edu/RobertTye