AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Brian Masschaele <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brian Masschaele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Nov 2004 11:19:57 -0500
Hello all, the Ontario Genealogical Society has just sent a message to
its members appealing for support of the Archives of Ontario in light of
the recent negative publicity surrounding the building.  I have
excerpted their message below for those interested.  Kudos to the OGS
for being pro-active in supporting the archival community in this
matter.

Have you read the article by Ian Urquhart in the October 17 Sunday
Toronto
Star about the government killing the new building for the Archives of

Ontario?

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1097963414852&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968793972154

  We have to speak out about this matter and let the officials know
that we
want the Archives to have a new building that is accessible and where
we can
do our research under proper conditions.

  Please do not bash the government officials, from my work as a
volunteer
in the heritage community I have learned that you need to let officials
know
we are aware and we will work with them but we want action.

  Below are the people we have to contact

  The minister responsible and the person we really have to get our
message
to is Hon. Gerry Phillips. He is the member for Scarborough - Agincourt
and
the Chair of Management Board of Cabinet. The Archives of Ontario is
part of
Management Board. His contact information is
  You can write to the Minister at Management Board Secretariat, 77
Wellesley St W, 12th Flr, Ferguson Block, Toronto ON M7A 1N3
  This constituency office is at 204 - 4002 Sheppard Ave E.,
Scarborough ON
M1S 4R5

  We also need to contact Premier Dalton McGuinty. You can go to
http://www.premier.gov.on.ca/english/contact/ to send an email directly
the premier's office or email him at his constituency office in Ottawa
at

  His contact information is Queen's Park, Rm 281, Main Legislative
Building, Toronto ON M7A 1A4

  You should also contact your local MPP -- for their contact
information go

  http://olaap.ontla.on.ca/laompp/daCurMbr.do?locale=en

  You emails or letters need to emphasis

  -          your use of the Archives

  -          its importance to the province of Ontario

  -          that users have put up with the poor working conditions
and
health hazards at the Grenville St site because we understood the
Archives
was moving to a new location

  -          that are pleased that the new offsite storage building is
being
built

  -          but these are our records and it is our right to have
access to
them under proper conditions and without fear of injury to our health

  Please spread the word to others and write to express your concern.

Brian Masschaele, Archivist
Elgin County Archives
450 Sunset Drive
St. Thomas Ontario Canada N5R 5V1
Ph: 519-631-1460, ext. 138 Fax: 519-631-9209
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Web:  www.elgin.ca