From:
Steven Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:44:21 -0400
Carlos Rodriguez Braun wrote:
>Our Austrian School colleagues will be happy to hear such a
>distinguished Chicago School leader backing the 100 % cash reserve
>proposal, but I think that Mints has been labelled a Keynesian by
>Austrian economists.

It is worth pointing out that favoring 100% reserve banking is NOT a
position favored by all Austrian school economists.  There has been a
several decades-long debate within Austrian economics over this
issue, with a number of us arguing that there is absolutely nothing
wrong with fractional reserve banking per se.  So as a matter of
accurate history of economic thought, it is probably best not to
assume that people who find value in the Austrian school also think a
100% reserve system is desirable, especially when one also recalls
that Hayek did not prefer it and Mises was ambiguous.

Steven Horwitz