From:
Robert Tye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2023 04:16:45 -0400
Thanks – but exactly why do you find this interesting?

The Skidelsky biography relies quite extensively of the Woolf diaries.  The only one that sticks in my recollection is a report of a conversation between Keynes (atheist?) and T S Eliot (theist?) concerning (as I seem to recall) the pragmatic political importance of religion.

Why do I think is that important?  Many many reasons, but here I state just one.  Eliot was also a member of a think tank with Michael Polanyi, who proposed a hierarchical faith based model of scientific understanding, itself resembling the religious program of St Augustine.  And that work by Polanyi was promoted and funded by the CIA.

Maybe I am wrong to think this makes it kind of important, but (if memory serves) it seems obvious why it might be……

Robert Tye, York, UK