From:
[log in to unmask] (Laurence Shute)
Date:
=================== HES POSTING =====================

Isn't "efficiency" also merely a situation _defined_ as the outcome of the
vaunted formalist view?  So market systems are best, i.e. efficient, because
we define it that way.  Ergo any other possible organization of society is,
by definition, inefficient.  So we're baaack to the Ricardian view of
Economic Development: becoming more like Britain, or now, the U.S.  This
simplifies Comparative Economic Organization courses.

And why have we been so taken with the myth of scarcity?  Has there been
real scarcity since the close of the 19th century?  I don't see scarcity in
the US, or the world in point of fact, though I do see a teeeny weeeny bit
of disparity in the distribution of income and wealth.  Scarcity is again,
the result of a definition: we are all greedy grasping creatures destined to
live our lives in the mall, buying, buying, buying: unlimited wants, don't
you know.  Really, now.

Isn't the new "formalist" view of things a way of gagging those who would
ask _real _ economic questions under the guise of "positive" economics?  If
you read economics texts from the 1870's into the 1940's don't you find them
a lot more interesting?  Do economics students today really learn much at
all of the actual conditions of economic life, as the original AEA
proclaimed its purpose?  Pardon me for digressing, I'm tired.  Larry Shute
Laurence Shute                          <[log in to unmask]>
Department of Economics                 Voice: 909.869.3850
California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
3801 West Temple Avenue                  FAX: 909.869.6987
Pomona, CA  91768-4070, USA