From:
[log in to unmask] (Paul Wendt (SAR))
Date:
======================== HES POSTING ===================

Quoting from its parent directory at Prof. Harry Cleaver's homepage:
> Chip C. Carriapa, The Political Origins of Neoclassical Economics, Ph.D.
> Dissertation. ([log in to unmask]) The full text of this proposal is
> available online.

The proposal is online at
    http://www.eco.utexas.edu/Homepages/faculty/Cleaver/chipprop.html
and is dated April 1996 (rather late in the process, I judge).  Length is
85K, of which the last 45K is a bibliography, especially strong on the
Marxian tradition.

Some HES subscribers --well, at least one editor-- will appreciate the
opening words of section 3:
>  Herbert Butterfield defines the Whig interpretation of history as "the
>tendency in many historians to.....praise revolutions provided they have
>been successful, to emphasize certain principles of progress in the past
>and to produce a story which is a ratification if not a glorification of
>the present."(17) This definition reduces many bourgeois (and some
>marxist) scholars to Whigs.
>  First, on this list is George Stigler. . . .

Another PhD dissertation in progress under Prof. Cleaver's direction is
Lee Sang-rack, Schumpeter on the Business Cycle: a Political Reading
(proposal not online).

----posted by
    Paul Wendt, Watertown MA
    HES e-information services, asst.editor