From:
"Wells, Julian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Jan 2014 23:30:12 +0000
As Mason says, going back centuries; see for example Part One of Goethe's
Faust (Penguin translation):

p.43 (soliloquy)

FAUST:
Philosophy have I digested,
The whole of Law and Medicine,
From each its secrets I have wrested,
Theology, alas thrown in.
Poor fool, with all this sweated lore,
I stand no wiser than before.

Master and Doctor are my titles;
For ten years now, without repose,
I've held my erudite recitals
And led my pupils by the nose.
And round we go, on crooked ways or straight,
And well I know that ignorance is our fate.
And this I hate.

p.49 (to Wagner)

If feeling fails you vain will be your course.
And idle what you plan unless your art
Springs from the soul with elemental force
To hold its sway in every listening heart.
Well, well, keep at it: ply the shears and paste,
Concoct from feasts of other men your hashes,
And should the thing be wanting fire or taste,
Blow into flame your little heap of ashes:
You'll find some apes and children who'll admire,
If admiration is your chief desire;
But what is uttered from the heart alone
Will win the hearts of others to your own.

p.96

MEPHISTOPHELES:
Five lectures are your daily plan --
And show yourself a punctual man.
For your professor, pray, prepare;
No paragraph, Sir, overlook!
And then you soon will be aware
He never deviates from the book.
But write it down, Sir, every bit,
As if the Holy Ghost dictated it.

STUDENT:
A lesson, Sir, I need not to be shown
A second time: I read its worth aright.
For anything we have in black and white
Is ours to take away and call our own.

And although (even more) off-topic, I can't resist adding the following:

p.98

MEPHISTOPHELES:

All theory, my friend, is grey,
But green is life's glad golden tree.

[my version:

All life, my friend, is grey,
But green is theory's glad golden tree.]

Somewhat back on topic, I also recommend Ursula Le Guin's "The
Dispossessed" for amusing scenes of academic venality.

Julian

Security System.