From:
Mason Gaffney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2009 15:45:03 -0500
Thank you, Robert Leeson, for your thoughtful response to my too-snippy jibe.
Friedman was a complex person who wrote hundreds of articles over a long
period, sometimes contradicting himself. I am sure I would applaud some of
his positions. Before judging him on his attitude toward a 1933 Chicago
proposal I would like to know what he was saying in 1999 when Congress
repealed Glass-Steagall. Can anyone supply a quote or citation?

My comment about his leading us into the current depression was based on his
leading the charge for deregulation of just about everything.

As to an expenditure tax, two points:
	1. Young Friedman, with Beardsley Ruml, was instrumental in
implementing and advocating for withholding income taxes from payrolls.
	2. Please don't include me with "most economists" who favor an
expenditure tax.

Mason Gaffney