AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

Sender:
"A forum for discussion for the Archives Assoc. of Ontario" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Joseph Travers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:43:11 -0500
Please excuse this email if you get it more than once.  It is thrilling reading (despite that I wrote most of it), and you will be a healthier and happier person if you read it more than once.  It's true.  Really.

It's also the perfect thing to print out and take with you to the bar on Wednesday (St. Patricks Day) and read to whoever will listen to you.

Yours in good health,

Joseph Travers
HAIG Chair

p.s. all the coolest kids go to the HAIG CHAT.  It's a fact.

- - - - - - - - - -

HAIG (Health Archivists Interest Group) presents:
2004 Spring CHAT - "Healing SouthWestern Ontario"
(All The Stuff You Secretly Desired To Know, But Were Ashamed To Ask)

        HAIG storms into Southwestern Ontario on April 2nd for our annual CHAT "Colloquiem of Health Archives Topics".  We'd love to see anyone in the southwest of our fair province (or anywhere else, of course!) interested in health archives to come out and join us.

        Lunch will be catered (but not free, sorry!), but we need to know how many people are coming for food preparation purposes.  Please RSVP Joseph Travers at [log in to unmask] or 416-967-2600 x227.

WHEN:
        Friday, April 2nd, 11am-2pm

WHERE:
        Sussman-Deadman Archival Centre
        Regional Mental Health Care Centre, London
                We'll be meeting in the boardroom of the hospital
                To get to the boardroom, go in the main front entrance.
                Go down the hallway on your left.
                The boardroom is at the end of the hall.
        850 Highbury Avenue
        London, Ontario
        (see link for map - look for "Regional Mental Health London")
        http://www.sjhc.london.on.ca/mhl/coming/directionstormhcl.htm

LUNCH:
        Lunch is NOT paid for by HAIG or the Centre, but WILL be catered.  Please contact us if you require a vegetarian version.

        Costs are as follows:

        Sandwiches $3.75
        Cold beverages $1.
        Desserts (1 cookie and 1 square) $1.50
        Veggies $1.50
        Coffee $.80

        * * *
        To avoid getting too little OR too much food, please let Joseph Travers (that's me!) know if you plan on attending.  The Centre needs to know approximate numbers for food preparation.  I can be emailed at [log in to unmask] or phoned at 416-967-2600 x227
        * * *

WHAT:
Here's a Draft Agenda for April 2nd:

        11:00
        Welcome & Greeting
        Introduction of HAIG Executive and others present

        11:15
        What's New:
        Review of Minutes from OHA
        Preview and Approval of HAIGs Annual and Financial Reports
                (contingent on their Draft versions being completed)
                Discussion

        12:00 - 12.30
        Lunch

        12.30
        Possible Guest Speaker

        1.00
        New Business & Issues facing HAIG
        Privacy Legislation

        1.30
        Tour of Sussman-Deadman Archival Centre
        Thanks to Dr. Sam Sussman & staff for hosting.

        2.00
        End of Meeting

        Post-Meeting - NEW!!!
        Thanks to the support of the Southwest Ontario Chapter (SWOC) of the AAO, HAIG has been invited to a tour of the new new archives facility at the University of Western Ontario Archives!  If it's possible for you to stay in the London area past 2 pm, please join us for what promises to be an interesting tour!

INFO JUNKIES:

*       We'll be discussing "Bill 31, Health Information Protection Act, 2003", and you can get your very own copy at http://www.ontla.on.ca/documents/Bills/38_Parliament/Session1/b031_e.htm

*       The Sussman-Deadman Archival Centre, founded in 1995 by Dr. Sam Sussman and John Deadman, is located at the Regional Mental Health Centre (formerly the London Psychiatric Hospital) in London, Ontario. The Centre contains records of theHospital from 1870 in addition to artifacts relating to the history of mental health. It is a valuable information hub for researchers and those interested in psychiatric institutionalization in southwestern Ontario.