AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
"Groover, Myron" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Groover, Myron
Date:
Wed, 9 May 2018 15:44:38 +0000
Colleagues,

At the risk of being uncharitable, the CBC is perhaps not exactly known in recent years for the astuteness of its strategic planning nor the prescience of its financial decision-making. This is perhaps not so much a case of a beloved national institution undermining the profession's dictums on "digitisation is not preservation" as a case study in what happens when an institution straitened by decades of political attrition and mismanagement is forced to make increasingly poor decisions they can only hope to get away with long enough that by the time their consequences are known they are irreversible. It is at this point a sad but predictable trajectory for public institutions.

I also believe federal institutions in particular often face very difficult parameters about what materials they can deaccession into other institutions and how. It may not be unreasonable to speculate that a decision was handed down about the fate of this material with such a tight timeframe that the people responsible for implementing it couldn't accommodate any other response. I feel sympathy for them.

I am the last person to discount the value of public pressure, however - Suzanne, I think your point about the visibility of the case is sound. Perhaps the ACA advocacy committee (whose chairperson is copied on this email) might consider the matter?

-M

P.S. I append the text of Suzanne's latest message below for the benefit of arcan-l subscribers who may not have received it.

--
Myron C. Groover, MA (Hons), MAS, MLIS
Archives and Rare Books Librarian