From:
[log in to unmask] (Kevin Quinn)
Date:
This seems to me evidence that I drives S rather than the reverse. In a
set of economies linked
by a world market in lending and borrowing, an increase in saving would
lead to a decrease in net foreign borrowing with investment unchanged at
the unchanged or slightly lower world interest rate. An increase in
investment on the other hand would be associated with more saving through
the good old Keynesian channels: more I leads to more Y leads to more S.
Am I missing something? So if Feldstein finds an association between
domestic S and I, haven't we got evidence of a sort for the Keynesian view?
Talk about saving the hypothesis, though: Feldstein says, doesn't he,
that this is evidence that markets in lending and borrowing aren't as
open as they appear! Yeah, if the classical take on the S/I link is a
maintained assumption! But then it can't be a result. Here's where we
need DH Robertson: not for his classical stridency, but for the wonderful
Alice-in-Wonderland quotes that he put in everything he wrote!