From:
Fred Foldvary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Oct 2009 10:17:50 -0400
 > ... on Fred's
 > claim if "all activity" is understood to include the things
 > that happen "inside" the entities that comprise the
 > spontaneous order.
 > Steve Horwitz

The inside acts are operational, the parties having made
constitutional voluntary choices.

 > misleading in his equation of "spontaneous"
 > with "of one's own free will."

"Spontaneous" can apply to an order, or to a choice.

 > This is emphatically
 > not the idea of "spontaneous" that is being used by Hayek
 > and others in this tradition.  The "spontaneity," as I
 > noted in an earlier note, referred to the unplanned nature
 > of the order that emerged not the actions that comprise the
 > eventual emergence of that order.

If an order is unplanned, then it must have been the result of
individual voluntary choices.  I see no contradiction.
Unplanned order means not imposed by a state, hence the result of
individual choice.  The spontaneous order is an outcome of spontaneous action.

Fred Foldvary