From:
Roger Backhouse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Nov 2013 14:01:40 +0000
What puzzles me about this thread is that though it began with a three sentence quote from Hayek, no one has made the point that if we are to understand Hayek’s remarks, it might be necessary to see the context, including the article that Hayek had in the Times, the reactions to it (presumably as letters to the Editor, which would be easy to locate) and other things he was writing at the time. The answer might even depend on the audience to whom Hayek (1978) was addressed, about which we are told nothing. Prima facie, this material would seem more important than things Hayek had written 45 years earlier.

RB