AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
Lorne Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lorne Bruce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 2013 19:11:37 -0400
Earlier today, on behalf of the Ex Libris Association, which includes mostly retired librarians and archivists, I forwarded the following letter to Minister James Moore, Canadian Heritage; Prime Minister Stephen Harper; and the Clerk of the Privy Council that states our Association's preference for the next Librarian and Archivist of Canada to hold professional library or archivist qualifications as well as a considerable knowledge of Canadian libraries and archives. We do not want to relive the last four years, 2009-13.

ELA has been a supporter of "Save Library and Archives" since February 2012 and our previous letters, statements, and backgrounders on these matters in 2012-2013 can be referenced using the hyperlink in our letter. The ELA letter follows:

May 17, 2013

Mr. Wayne G. Wouters
Clerk of the Privy Council and Secretary to the Cabinet,
Privy Council Office, Langevin Block,
80 Wellington Street,
Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0A3

Subject: New appointment of Librarian and Archivist of Canada

Sir:

I am writing on behalf of the Ex Libris Association (ELA), Canada’s national association for retired librarians, archivists, and persons interested in publishing and related information fields.

ELA wishes to express our position that any candidate for the position of Librarian and Archivist of Canada should be a librarian or archivist with recognized professional qualifications and a broad base of Canadian experience. It is our position, based on a review of Library and Archives Canada (LAC) and its predecessors before 2004, that a combination of administrative expertise and education in related fields is NOT sufficient preparation to guide this multifaceted national institution.

Ex Libris has already documented our view that the concept of integrating a national library and national archives is worthy of extensive review and reconsideration given the Canadian experience of the past decade of unsettled priorities and fluctuating policy directions <http://exlibris.pbworks.com/w/page/63815295/Ex-Libris-Association-Statement-on-Library-and-Archives-Canada>. There are a number of current problems besetting Library and Archives Canada as an organization and a serious need for the next Librarian and Archivist to provide proactive leadership, genuine collaboration, and innovative approaches to many urgent issues in order for Canada’s libraries and archives to move forward on many fronts.

We therefore respectfully submit that you appoint a person holding recognized professional archivist or librarian qualifications who can skillfully provide the leadership to guide LAC's senior management team, reinvigorate its personnel, and promote a viable infrastructure for cooperative progress, such as digital services, in Canadian libraries and archives.

Yours sincerely

Lorne Bruce
President
Ex Libris Association