AAOLIST Archives

AAOLIST@YORKU.CA

From:
"Henry, Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Henry, Paul
Date:
Fri, 30 May 2003 12:02:18 -0400
Karin,

It's interesting that you compare being an archivist to the U.S.-Canada
relationship. I would agree. In the same way we (as Canadians) describe
ourselves as being "not American", I find myself describing archivists as
"like librarians, only different".

I question, however, whether it is an inferiority complex, or whether we are
victims of our own inward focus. If archivists who work in public
institutions are not in the public eye educating the public and dare I say
evangelizing on the value of documentary memory, we will continue to be
perceived as basement-dwelling trolls. In a recent discussion I had with a
colleague on the subject of educational programming, we came to the
realization that 5-year olds know a great deal about libraries -- process,
function, and need. Can the same be said of Archives?

Having said this, the fact that the recent Star Wars movie mentioned
Archives, in fact, "if it isn't in the Archives, it doesn't exist", may
indicate a growing public awareness of Archives. At a recent talk I gave to
a seniors group, the first question I got was "what is the archives doing
about email?" This is a positive sign that perhaps Archives and community
memory may very well mean something to people other than archivists.

Regards,
Paul J. Henry
Archivist (Community Records)
City of Ottawa Archives