From:
"Rosser, John Barkley - rosserjb" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2012 21:13:49 +0000
Rob,

The low point for Europe was the 10th century.  The 15th saw the flowering of the Renaissance in Italy, although your remarks hold for substantial portions of Europe.  That century also saw a burst of new dynamism in the Muslim world, or parts of it anyway, following the Turkish conquest of Constantinople.  That would last for over a century, but the victory of the Spanish and Venetians over the Turks at the great showdown of Lepanto in the late 16th signaled what was to come, with Europe to surge far ahead of the Muslim world, Braudel probably providing the best account of all that.

Barkley Rosser (I do not go by my first name)