From:
Geoffrey Poitras <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2013 13:23:35 -0800
hi robert

chapter 4 (esp. p.333-8) of my "Valuation of Equity Securities"
(World Scientific, 2011) examines DCF models, including the history ...

precisely what the Wikipedia source means by "modern economic terms"
is unclear ... but your intuition about farmland and buildings is
good ... for example, Pitts (2001, Accounting History) examines the contributions
of William Armstrong (1811-1896) who uses DCF to value mining
company issues and leases ... versions of the Institute of
Actuaries textbook, Sutton (1882, Todhunter 1901) modeled the
common stock price as a  perpetuity with a constant growth rate
which is quite 'modern' in form ... Lewin "Pensions and Insurance
Before 1880" (Tuckwell Press 2003) details the use of DCF
methods to value various securities and contracts going back
to ancient times ... Fisher and JB Williams definitely popularized the
use of these valuation methods but did not make seminal contributions

cheers ... GP