From:
michael perelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 2011 18:19:52 -0700
Marx wrote:
"The large grant of lands in Ireland to Lady Orkney, in 1695, is a
public instance of the king's affection, and the lady's influence ....
Lady Orkney's endearing offices are supposed to have been -- foeda
labiorum ministeria."  [Capital. 1977,  p. 884 n. 12]

Marx's mentions a manuscript, but it almost certainly came from a book,
Vernon, James. 1841. Letters Illustrative of the Reign of William III,
from 1696 to 1708 (London: H. Colburn).

Volume 1 is on Google, but the rest does not seem to be.  I do not
have access to the volumes here in Chico.  I will have a couple of
hours to visit the Berkeley library next week, but not enough time to
review the next two volumes.  If anyone can point me to the precise
location, I would like to read the context.

Snyder, Laura J. 2011. The Philosophical Breakfast Club: Four
Remarkable Friends Who Transformed Science and Changed the World (New
York: Broadway Books).
The four friends are Babbage, Richard Jones, William Whewell, and John
Hershell.  One chapter is devoted to their work on economics.

--
Michael Perelman
Economics Department

530 898 5321