From:
Robert Dimand <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Apr 2014 03:49:58 -0400
Hall and Hart (2012) managed to obtain an upward-sloping
Phillips curve for the US using annual data by including
observations for World War II years when unemployment was
very low and the economy was subject to price controls
-- when most prices were set by the Office of Price
Administration and could not adjust to excess demand,
so that the official inflation rate for those years is
meaningless for investigating the relationship between
unemployment and inflation. The attention of Hall and
Hart was drawn to this problem with their results in
referee's comments when they submitted their paper to
another journal. They dealt with this issue in their
History of Economics Review article by ignoring it, as
if they had never heard of it.

Robert Dimand