From:
Bruce Caldwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jun 2009 17:33:38 -0400
Dear SHOE colleagues,

I am writing to you in my capacity as the new
director of the recently established Center for
the History of Political Economy at Duke
University. I wanted to update you on the
progress we have made with the Center so far, and
also to ask you for your help.

The purpose of the Center is to support research
in, and the teaching of, the history of political
economy. The larger goal is to revitalize an
interest in the history of economic thought among
students and within the economics profession as a whole.

To support research, we have a fellowship
program, which brings both senior and junior
research fellows to Duke for a semester or a year
to pursue their own research. Fellows come from
around the world. For example, in the 2008-2009
academic year Rob Van Horn (USA) worked on a book
on the origins of the Chicago Law and Economics
movement, Yann Giraud (France) developed further
his research on visualization in economics,
Hansjoerg Klausinger (Austria) worked on two
volumes he is editing for the /Collected Works of
F.A. Hayek/, Aiko Ikeo (Japan) developed some
papers for the Critical Biography Series
sponsored by the Society for the History of
Japanese Economic Thought, and Rob Leonard
(Canada) did initial research for a project
investigating modernism in the social sciences
during the inter-war years. Next year there will
be two junior and four senior fellows in
residence, as well as a number of visitors coming for shorter stays.

Fellows and visitors have a number of resources
on which to draw. There are five faculty members
at Duke who specialize in the history of thought,
and the Center has a number of affiliated faculty
in cognate areas at Duke and on other area
campuses. We have an active workshop series,
weekly luncheons where work in progress is
discussed, and various special events. During the
2008-2009 academic year the last included a one
day mini-conference on Creative Communities in
Economics, a panel discussion on “John Maynard
Keynes of Bloomsbury” held at the Nasher Art
Museum (this was the kick-off event for the
Center), and the annual HOPE conference, this one
organized by Roger Backhouse and Philippe
Fontaine on “The Unsocial Social Science?
Economics and the Neighboring Disciplines Since
1945.” The world-class combined Triangle
Libraries system has extensive holdings that are
available to all Fellows through Duke's Perkins
Library, which is located literally footsteps
away from the Center. Fellows have workspaces
assigned to them, either in the Center itself or
in private library carrels located in the
library. Finally, Duke is home to the Economists’
Papers Project, a collection which includes the
papers of 8 Nobel laureates in economics, as well
as such luminaries as Carl Menger, Oskar
Morgenstern, Nicholas Geogescu-Roegen, Tibor
Scitovsky, Arthur Burns, Don Patinkin, Paul
Davidson, and many others, as well as the papers
of the American Economic Association.

To support teaching, we encourage junior fellows
to sit in on or assist us with the many courses
we offer at Duke. These courses may also be taken
by undergraduates or graduate students enrolled
at two neighboring universities, UNC-Chapel Hill
and N.C. State. We are also organizing a Summer
Teaching Institute, to begin summer 2010, that
will be a sort of “Boot Camp” on the history of
thought, aimed at helping faculty who may not
have had training in the field to be able to
offer a course in it. For more information on the
various initiatives of the Center, please visit
our website at www.econ.duke.edu/CHOPE <http://www.econ.duke.edu/CHOPE>.

I hope that you will agree that the Center is an
exciting new development, and that you might be
willing to help us to accomplish our goals. So how might you help us?

1. First, if you have good undergraduate students
with an interest in the history of economic
thought who might be going on to graduate school
in economics, please let them know about our
program and let them know that they can take
courses in the field at Duke if they enroll at
Duke, UNC-Chapel Hill, or NC State.

2. Next, if you know of graduate students who
want to do research in the history of political
economy and who might benefit from a year at
Duke, either as they finish up their dissertation
or as a post-doc, tell them about us.

3. If you have a colleague who might benefit from
our Summer Teaching Institute, let them know about us.

4. Finally, if you have a semester research leave
or a sabbatical year coming up and would like to
explore the possibility of spending all or part
of it here at Duke, send me an e-mail or give me
a call ­ I’d be happy to discuss it with you.

We are excited about the prospects of building a
community of like-minded scholars here at Duke. I
appreciate any support that you might be able to
give us to help us to reach our goals. Should you
be attending the upcoming HES meetings in Denver,
I will be there and will be happy to discuss with
you any matters of interest relating to the Center.

My best regards,

Bruce Caldwell