From:
"Bylund, Per L." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2014 13:45:00 +0000
I suppose we've now entered the 'naked' phase of anti-Austrianism? ;-)

Defining (demarcating) economics as the study of the effects/results/outcomes of action is 'ducking' psychological issues in the same sense that studying biology is 'ducking' physics. We're talking about specialized sciences, so I don't see the issue with letting those specializations have boundaries.

Also, I noted earlier that Austrian economics makes a different claim than modern neoclassical economics; the former starts with action and attempts to explain what happens, while the latter (at least recently) tends to dig into the drivers or triggers of action. Those are very different aims (or, more loosely, aims), yet the critique seems to come back to the attempt to force Austrian theory into the neoclassical framework - and thereby show that it doesn't hold water. I don't see the relevance of this. How is that anything but a dishonest attempt to knock down Austrian economics? (I'm opposed only to the 'dishonest' part; any theory should be able to defend itself to legitimate, honest criticism.)

Let's see where we're at in this subthread's discussion on the definition of action:
1) John Medaille claim Mises 'redefined a horse as a cow' as he doesn't use the words as in ordinary language
2) I shared Mises's definition as stated in his magnum opus Human Action
3) Rob Tye counters that Mises definitionally is only 'retreating into ordinary language'.

Any suggestions for how one can properly respond to this?

Per

Dr. Per L. Bylund | Entrepreneurship | Hankamer School of Business
Research Professor | Baugh Center for Entrepreneurship & Free Enterprise
Baylor University | One Bear Place #98011 | Waco, TX 76798-8011
p  573.268.3235| w  www.PerBylund.com | e  [log in to unmask]