From:
Michael Nuwer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 2014 11:23:06 -0500
The Stanford Memorial Resolution to Tarshis, written by John Gurley,
Moses Abramovitz, and Tibor Scitovsky, cite both reasons for the book's
sales decline.

http://historicalsociety.stanford.edu/pdfmem/TarshisL.pdf
(page 5):
Before all of this had time to erupt fully, Tarshis’s book was adopted
by at least 100 colleges and universities, including almost all the Ivy
League schools. However, the mounting campaign against the book, joined
vigorously a few years later by William F. Buckley, Jr., in his God and
Man at Yale (1951), and the appearance in 1948 of the first edition of
Paul Samuelson’s textbook—soon to sweep much of the market for many
years—greatly reduced the demand for Tarshis’s own book.