From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Date:
================= HES POSTING =================

> Ross:
>
> Could you explain how you would be better placed as an economic historian
> rather than an economist to illuminate contemporary policy issues and
> analytical developments. . . .   My
> "subversive function" could not be performed by historians, only by
> economists.
>
> Robert Leeson

Robert:

My response to how I as an historian of economics am "better placed . . .
to illuminate contemporary policy issues" than an economist would be the
same as the response of any intellectual historian; that is to say, I am
not "better placed," simply differently placed. While the economist may
want to provide alternative solutions to particular issues, my only real
"policy-oriented" interest is this: why is it that in the twentieth
century modern society came to rely on economic science for "solutions"
to social issues? Or put better: why is it that modern society framed its
"issues" in ways amenable to being addressed by the social sciences? Or
again: what is it about modern society that elevates "science" and
thereby economics to the status previously given to the priesthood?

Similarly, my response with regards to analytical developments is not
that the historian of economics is "better" placed than the economist,
rather simply differently placed. I am all in favor of multiple rational
reconstructions by economists of earlier economic ideas. I write
historical reconstructions, that's all. I would hope that if I write
well, economists will read my historical reconstructions and possibly
construct better rational reconstructions. But I write historical
reconstructions to do history, not to improve economics.

Ross

Ross B. Emmett                Editor, HES and Co-manager CIRLA-L
Augustana University College
Camrose, Alberta CANADA   T4V 2R3
voice: (403) 679-1517   fax: (403) 679-1129
e-mail: [log in to unmask]  or  [log in to unmask]