From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Date:
HES subscribers:

At the recent European Conferences on the History of Economics,
several of us discussed ways of moving toward greater electronic
access of archival material in the history of economics.  While
we agreed that the ideal would be direct electronic access to all
archival material from any spot on earth, we recognized that this
ideal is still a distant dream.  In the interim, we wanted to
take some concrete steps toward making archival materials more
accessible to working historians of economics.

[A note on archival material in history of economics: among the
types of materials of interest would be collections of papers of
economists, correspondence collections, departmental archives,
archives of major research institutions or foundations,
collections related to national organizations such as the AEA or
CEA, editorial papers of major journals, and so on.  In other
words, any materials that historians of economics might find of
relevance.]

One of the concrete steps is the creation of HES, which allows
historians working with archival materials to raise questions in
a forum in which there may be some who can offer help (cross-
references, location of other material, etc.).

A second concrete step is the formation of a gopher service for
historians working in archives related to the history of
economics.  The gopher will provide specific information about
many different archival collections which might be of interest to
historians of economics.  While the location of the gopher server
is still undecided, we can begin now to collect the information.

Some of the major collections are being approached directly:
for example, info on the Duke Univ. collection will be
provided by Neil di Marchi, and I have most of the information on
collections at the University of Chicago and the London School of
Economics.  Suggestions regarding people to contact to help with
major collections can also be sent to me.

The template below covers what I believe to be the relevant
information we are looking for.  If you have worked with archival
material in the history of economics, please help by taking the
time to return a copy to me (privately please, not to the
list!!).  If you know someone who has done some of this type of
work, pass this on to them.  And if you think the template needs
improving, please write me.

Ross Emmett

Name of Collection:
Nature of Collection (correspondence, manuscripts, etc.):
Archive:
Address:
Catalogue (Y/N):
Catalogue searchable on-line (Y/N):
Archivist:
email address:
Archive Hrs.:
Accessibility:
Notes (room for personal comments about use of collection which
would help other researchers):

Ross B. Emmett, Augustana Univesity College, Camrose, Alberta
CANADA   T4V 2R3   voice: (403) 679-1517   fax: (403) 679-1129
e-mail: [log in to unmask]  or  [log in to unmask]