From:
[log in to unmask] (Mayo Toruno)
Date:
Ross,
        Just read your posting on the difference between history of economic
thought and history of economics, and I agree wholeheartedly.   I teach an
undergraduate course entitled the History of Economic Thought and while, on
the whole I approach it as a history of economic thought course I also
introduce, as an on-going theme, the kind of methodological concerns
(philosophy of science) that are associated with the history of economics
discipline.  Additionally, when thinking about, or writing about,
contemporary economic issues the theoretical structures I rely upon, or
attempt to modify, are informed by my understanding of the history of
economic theory.
        However, and now adopting the position of a historian of economics,
I do not believe that this is the way the community of scholars called
economists view all of this.  As you mentioned, theory is viewed by this
community as something that can be thought of as being distinct from the
history of theory.  The closest to a history of theory approach that I
perceive many non-history-of-thought-economists pursuing is a literature
search of relatively recent expressions of contemporary theoretical issues.
And even here it is a rather narrow search of the appropriate literature.
The assumption seems to be that contemporary theoretical expressions
represent the distilled truth of past efforts - even though these past
efforts (such as The Wealth of Nations, Principles of Political Economy and
Taxation, Capital, Elements of Pure Economics, The General Theory, and so
on) are seldom read.  I don't have the citation readily available, but if
memory serves me right, I believe that Arjo Klamer reproduced, in one of
his "Conversations with ...", the claim by one well known contemporary
theoretician that he had not read the past master.  I am bringing this up
not because I am suggesting that theory creation requires that the
theoretician be familiar with past work, but simply because this is a good
example of the attitude that I see among most of my non-history-of-thought
colleagues.
        I would also suggest that this attitude is, in part, responsible for
the sterile formalism that the discipline of economics is prone to.
However, I also suspect that the sterile formalism that I perceive much of
economics having gone through in the post-WW II era was a result of
relatively unique historical circumstances - in particular, the
unprecedented wealth of capitalism's golden age.
        Oh well, I have to get back to work.

Mayo C. Toruno
Department of Economics
California State University, San Bernardino
San Bernardino, CA 92407
909-880-5517
e-mail: [log in to unmask]