Date:
Fri Mar 31 17:18:38 2006
From:
[log in to unmask] (Thomas Moser)
===================== HES POSTING ====================

Polanyi's 'Great Transformation' (1944) might still be an interesting book
to read but I do agree with Michael Lynch that Polanyi's thesis is
outdated. Especially Polanyi's classification of 'pre-industrial,
non-market economies' developed in his 'Trade and Market in the Early
Empires' (1957) might serve as a theoretical concept but it has no
historical validity since all these concepts always existed at the same
time - and still do today. In this respect there was no structural break
during the 'industrial revolution'. Market transactions are rather an
important feature of cultural continuity. I do not agree with Michael
Perelman that it is just a question of 'what percentage prices penetrated
the economy' or 'if the majority of the economy was a cash-price economy'.
The problem already starts with the meanings of these terms: the 'market'
itself is a concept with several dimensions, it can mean (like its latin
root 'mercatus' indicates) either a place where exchange takes place or a
method of exchange, while there are again several conditions of exchange
(perfect competition, monopoly, etc.). When talking about a 'cash-price
economy' we have to keep in mind that grain itself was widely used as
'cash' in ancient times while the role of silver as a currency even before
coinage can not be denied. Concepts like Polany's 'politically administered
trade' misses the fact that most ancient governments made use of private
contractors. There is no doubt that markets as a method of exchange did
exist since ancient times. That they also played an important role in
ancient economies and societies as a whole can already be seen by the
effort that legal history devoted at market- and especially
price-regulations. If market forces would have been absent there would have
been absolutely no need for regulation! The fact that those regulations
usually failed to produce the desired results can serve as further evidence
for the existence of market forces. In my own research on ancient
literature I have found a lot of evidence on awareness of the importance of
market transactions and even quite some understanding of the benefits of
competitive markets and competitive prices. A very interesting book with an
enormous amount of evidence for a market system already in ancient
mesopotamia is MARC VAN MIEROOP, Society and enterprise in old Babylonian
Ur (1992). Am interesting article about the question of market behavior in
ancient times is MARVIN A. POWELL, Sumerian merchants and the problem of
profit, in: Iraq, Vol.39, Spring 1977.

Thomas Moser
Center for Research of Economic Activity (KOF)
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETH)
e-mail: [log in to unmask]
homepage: http://www.kof.ethz.ch/tm.htm