From:
[log in to unmask] (Michael Gibbons (GIA))
Date:
==================== HES POSTING ====================

Brad:

Bingo.

But why is your point so resisted by economists?  It seems to me (as an
pseudo outsider) that economists seem more interested in being like
physicists than, say biologists.  That is, they want to believe that what
they are studying has ALWAYS been there, and it is just a question of
finding the right method/theory.  If one looks at biology, one gets a
different image of knowledge.  If you ask why most male human beings are
larger than most female human beings, the immediate explanation is genetic
and hormonal makeup.  But if you ask how that genetic and hormonal make up
came about, the explanation lies in evolution (i.e. history).  It seems to
me that economics could use more history.  Unfortunately, from what I am
able to gleen from this forum, they consider that problematic, and when
they do approach history, it is rife with a contextual clumsiness that is
almost embarassing (this is getting harsher than I prefer).

Michael Gibbons
Dept. of Government and International Affairs
University of South Florida