From:
[log in to unmask] (Anthony Brewer)
Date:
Ouch. My rather innocent posting commenting on the notions
of a social contract and a common will seems to have been
read as an attack on democracy, and probably on motherhood
and apple pie as well. It wasnt meant that way. It really
wasnt. I think this thread is in danger of drifting away
from the interests of the HES group, but let me put the
record straight.
  Economic theory seems to have established that private
provision of public goods is inefficient. I dont know the
history of that result in detail, but it has been at least
implicitly understood for a long time. However, there has
never been a concensus among economists about what should be
done, because, I was trying to suggest, there isnt an easy
answer. I think Mary Schweitzer is trying to suggest that it
is easy, and that one can readily tell when a government is
serving the 'common will', and when it is not. The point of
my mention of Arrow is that there may not be any clear cut
answer. Theoretical discussions of free riding do indeed
show that it may be rational for people to agree to be
coerced (compelled, required, whatever word you like), but
dont help in telling us what it is that they should agree
to be coerced to do. Discussion leading to consensus on some
policy issue is an ideal solution, but it doesnt generally
work in large and diverse communities (does it? Is there
consensus in the US now, for example, as to the proper role
of government?). Two points relevant to the HES group:
first, economists have been grappling with this issue for
centuries. Many have thought that the costs of state action
often outweigh the benefits. Rent seeking is surely a real
phenomenon, and one that economists have been aware of,
informally at least, since before Adam Smith. That doesnt
say it is the only relevant phenomenon - see above. Second,
political philosophers have also grappled with these sorts
of questions, and have said a lot that is relevant about
notions like 'social contract' and 'common will'. They, of
course, havent reached any sort of consensus either.
  Hence, to go back to Mary Schweitzer's original posting,
any claim that economics shows that state intervention is
necessarily bad is a falsification of both the history and
the present state of the discipline. But that is about as
far as we can go.
   Tony Brewer, Bristol